The East Link will be a new double-railed high-speed railway that stretches 150 kilometers between Järna and Linköping. Railway stations for boarding are planned to be setup in six different cities: Södertälje, Trosa, Nyköping, Norrköping, and Linköping. The full high-speed railway plans to be built with start in Stockholm, via Jönköping, and end in Gotheburg (The Götaland Line) as well as start in Stockholm and end in Malmö/Copenhagen (The Europe Line). This plan has been made in order to tie these three big cities closer to each other. The East Link is planned to allow for passenger trains that can go up to 320 kilometers per hour.
The East Link takes the very first step towards a new generation of railways in Sweden. Because of the double-railed high-speed railway the needs of the future can be met. The East Link also promotes sustainability because much transportation can use the railway instead of other means that puts the environment at side. The fraction of goods transportation can be enlarged on the existing railway and thereby the regions will be given a chance for further growth. When the fast passenger trains are moved to the East Link, there will be more room for trains transporting goods on the Southern and Western line where the passenger train runs today. The East Link will contribute to almost a 100% increase in the number of rails between Mälardalen and Östergörland, which implies for further possibilities to re-direct the railway traffic so that the railway system turns less vulnerable for distractions. The East Link will contribute with faster, easier, and safer travelling.
Short facts about the East Link
- • Sweden’s as well as Scandinavia’s very first high-speed railway.
- • Trains that run up to 320km/h.
- • Railway traffic between Järna and Linköping.
- • Railway stations in Södertälje, Trosa, Stockholm Skavsta Airport, Nyköping, Norrköping and Linköping
- • Construction start of the Kardon Line 2017, a railway transporting goods from Åby to Händelö in Norrköping
- • Construction start of the East Link is planned 2022
- • 154 km of double-railed railway, 30 tunnels, and 200 bridges.
- • Expected cost of the East Link: around 55 billion SEK.
- • Will demand 25 000 jobs each yearly.
- • The trains will start to run in 2033-2035.